The primary duties of this position look a lot like a combination of administrative assistant, office manager, marketing assistant and event manager. You will support Vanessa in a wide variety of day-to-day projects, programs, and processes. This will be a part-time position which could lead to full-time.
We’re looking for someone who believes what Zig Zigler said, “You will get all you want in life if you help enough other people get what they want.” We need someone who understands that serving others will make them successful. It is important to us that you are a match to our culture and believe deeply in the transformational services we provide dental speakers and consultants.
We’re looking for someone who would like to have an impact in the lives of thousands of dental professionals. To that end, this won’t be an ad listing a set of tasks and corresponding skills, but an opportunity to find a place to make meaning, not just money. We believe that we were made to be and to do something significant with our lives, and to have a global impact. We’d love to have you jump in with us. You need to decide first whether you would want to work in this environment.
Who are we?
We are Vanessa Emerson by Design, a ten-year old company that is small and experiencing explosive growth. Our mission is to help dental speakers and consultants grow their businesses. We offer services and products that help meeting planners and speakers find and work with each other, such as Dental Speakers Bureau and Directory of Dental Speakers. We offer business strategy coaching and marketing collateral development such as websites and speaker materials. With 15 years’ experience marketing speakers, we’re known as thought leaders and a ‘go to’ resource for inside-the-industry information that helps meeting planners create better meetings, speakers/consultants acquire more bookings with higher honorariums and BOTH to meet their business goals.
Our core values:
We don’t believe in employees. Everyone at Vanessa Emerson by Design is a contractor owning their own company. You own your job responsibilities. We attract stakeholders who believe in what we’re doing, not employees who punch clocks. We attract people who will “own” their work, not just do it. Employees have to be told what to do, Stakeholders are proactive and work hard to improve the company.
We don’t have office hours, vacation policies, or a central office. We’re not interested in whose car was in the parking lot first or who left last – we believe in working together as a committed community to get results for each other and our clients. We all work from our homes or places like breakfast joints, meeting rooms, and coffee shops.
If you would like to be part of a fluid, growing, expanding organization that is small yet growing on three continents, and if you would enjoy helping us figure out how to get there, we could be a good fit. If you are looking for a box within which you will find a clear list of tasks to perform and regularly set times to be “at work”, please do not apply – we don’t see life that way.
We have a strong commitment to client service – making sure our clients are happy… always. We expect unwavering quality work. Honesty and integrity… is just a given. We ensure the success of our clients through doing the best job possible. And we love to have fun together and support each others’ businesses.
If you find fulfillment in…
- Helping behind the scenes – assisting others in completing tasks and working as a remote team.
- Performing a range of simple to very detailed office work – scheduling, proofreading, accounting, email campaigns, blogging, basic administrative tasks to leadership functions.
- Not knowing exactly what every day will hold – tasks can change day-to-day.
- Acting like a business owner – taking initiative and ownership, making decisions, thinking ahead and being proactive about your schedule and the tasks that need to be completed and by when.
- Working with technology: Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, Constant Contact, screen sharing and project management software.
- Not working 8-12, but 7-11, 10-2, 9-noon, nothing today – go for a walk, etc. You make your own schedule based on your situation and project workload.
- Working together with a few other people in a committed community to serve others and earn a living without sacrificing your personal life.
…Then we might be a good fit.
- Computer and technology experience. We are looking for individuals that are very comfortable using computers, have a high level of competency with Word and Excel and can learn new software with ease.
- Very high attention to detail and strong organizational skills. Please don’t apply if this isn’t a great asset you bring to the game.
- Sense of urgency. The right fit is a self-empowered leader who gets the work done on time and double checks herself to ensure it’s done right.
- Applicants must have a wide range of administrative and practical business skills.
- Excellent communication skills in person, on the phone, and in writing.
- An eye for esthetics. Some experience with graphic design would be helpful.
- Ability to logically solve problems with little supervision.
- Discretion in handling and communicating sensitive information.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at once in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- A positive attitude and willingness to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Previous dental industry experience is not required but helpful.
- Strong work ethic.
Our Application Process
We don’t need to see your resume yet. Please do not send it and please do not call. For now, just email answers to the following questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What do you find most appealing about this position?
- What are the three biggest strengths you could bring to this position?
- How can we support you – what do you need from us to be successful?
- How does this position fit into your lifestyle & career goals?
- Describe your current home office. If you do not currently have a home office describe what it would take to set up a fully functioning home office. (Needed criteria of a home office: designated room or work space, child care accommodations, noise control, access to computer/laptop, phone & internet service.)
- Describe your dental industry work experience. Have you worked with dental speakers and/or consultants?
- How do you keep yourself organized at home or at work?
Any additional information that you feel would help us?
We look forward to hearing from you!